The Town of Sedgewick

Planning and Development

Learn key information on the planning and development requirements in the Town of Sedgewick as well as detail on the hierarchy and relationship of the Town’s Statutory Plans.

The Municipal Government Act identifies the hierarchy and relationship of statutory plans, so that each plan will be consistent with the plans above it and, in the event of an inconsistency, which provisions in what plan will prevail.Land use planning in Alberta must follow plans at both the provincial and municipal level of government.

With the implementation of the Provincial Land Use Framework and the Alberta Land Stewardship Act, some planning decisions will be made at the regional level as well. Land use may also be subject to other federal and provincial regulations.

The graph to the left outlines the Town of Sedgewick’s hierarchy of land use planning decisions with links to the documents below.

Municipal Government Act
Provincial Land Use Framework
North Saskatchewan Regional Plan
Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework
Inter-municipal Development Plan
Municipal Development Plan
Area Structure Plans
Land Use Bylaw

Town Documents:

Land Use Bylaw 461 Amendments:

Bylaw 483
Bylaw 487
Bylaw 504
Bylaw 505
Bylaw 506
Bylaw 512
Bylaw 520
Bylaw 527
Bylaw 534
Bylaw 544
Bylaw 547
Bylaw 562

Other Bylaws:

Flagstaff Regional Subdivision & Development Appeal Board Bylaw 575

Civic Addressing Bylaw 468

Boulevard Bylaw 548
Application for Tree Pruning/Removal


Development Permit

Land Use Bylaw Amendment Application

planning hierarchy

Permit Information:


The Town of Sedgewick requires that anyone who is building or demolishing any type of structure to apply for and secure approval of a Development Permit prior to starting a project.

A Development Permit addresses such issues as restrictions pursuant to the Land Use Bylaw with regards to zoning, setbacks, parking, etc.


The Town can advise or direct a Developer to a Safety Codes Officer on whether or not a project requires a Building Permit, which is facilitated by Superior Safety Codes Inc. within the Town of Sedgewick.

A Building Permit addresses legislation under the Alberta Building Code with regards to construction, materials, etc., and provides inspection services to ensure the development complies with the Legislation.

Development  Permit Process

A Development Permit is required prior to a Building Permit application. This applies to:

  • any renovations that are being done that would cost more than $5,000,
  • any structure that exceeds 110 square feet
  • demolition of a structure
  • moving in any structure (i.e. a mobile or Ready-to-Move (RTM) home)
  • a deck with a height of 2 feet or greater above grade
  • other construction proposals may also require a Development Permit – please contact the Town for verification.

Development Permit Fees are as follows:

  • Residential/Institutional: $100.00
  • Commercial/Industrial: $125.00
  • Fences, Decks, Renovations, Additions, Small Structures: $50.00
  • Discretionary Permit: Add $50.00
  • Extension of Development Permit: $25.00
  • Demolition Permit: $50.00

A Development Permit requires the following information:

  • A site plan: a drawing showing the layout of the proposed development on the lot, with measurements showing the side/front and back yard setbacks from the property lines.
  • All legal information – i.e. Legal Address, ownership of property, and zoning.
  • Authorization from the Owner if applicant is not the Owner of the property
  • Contractor name and estimated cost of development.
  • Description of the proposed development

The Development Permit must be signed by the CAO or a Designated Officer prior to the application of any of the required Disciplines’ Permits (Building, Electrical, Plumbing Permits, etc.)

Please Note: Development Permits require payment in full prior to application processing and approval.

Please Note: it is the policy of the Town of Sedgewick that all Town utility services (water and sewer) must be located and installed for new construction, at the time of the digging of a basement.

Note: it is the Owner’s responsibility to locate the survey pins on their lots. A metal detector can be borrowed from the Town to facilitate this process; older areas of Town may not have metal pins.

Find information about getting a Development Permit for a construction or demolition project.

Check out Municipal Lots for Sale

Check out the New 2019 Residential Lots For Sale

View the Town of Sedgewick Legal Map

Do you know what your property’s zoning classification is? Find out with the Town of Sedgewick Zoning Map.

All development in the Town of Sedgewick must conform to Land Use Bylaw #461 and Amending Land Use Bylaws #483, #487, #504, #505, #506, #512, #521, #527, #534, #544, #547 and 562. Find out more here.

Building & Other Disciplines’ Permit Processes

Once the Development Permit has been approved, the Owner  shall submit a copy of the Permit to Superior Safety Codes Inc. in conjunction with an application for the appropriate discipline(s’) permit(s).

The Town of Sedgewick contracts permitting services to Superior Safety Codes Inc. for the Building, Electrical, Plumbing, Natural Gas and Private Sewage disciplines.  Superior Safety Codes Inc. requires a copy of the approved Development Permit prior to issuing any Permits.

Superior Safety Codes may be contacted at the above link for more information on their permit application processes or call: 1-888-358-5545

Always remember to think safety first, as you start your project:

If you are building a new house:

Since  December 1, 2017, new homes constructed in Alberta must be built by a licensed builder.  Owner builders constructing their own home can apply for  an Owner Builder Authorization. The Builder Registry is an on-line source of information to search Alberta’s licensed residential builders.

Builder licensing is intended to reduce the risks prospective home owners face by establishing a licensing system, providing consumers with information on builders, and creating provisions to remove or suspend builders when necessary to protect home owners from negligent or unscrupulous businesses.

Builder licensing applies to anyone constructing new homes, including condominiums and large multi-family homes, as well as renovations when a residential construction project requires new home warranty coverage.

If you are buying a house:

Warranty coverage is required for every new home constructed in Alberta after February 1, 2014. The Property Registry allows homeowners, builders, real estate professionals, and financial institutions to search for:

• Warranty status of a property
• Information about which warranty provider is backing the property
• The commencement date of warranty coverage

Was the home built by a licensed builder? The Builder Registry allows homeowners, builders, real estate professional and financial institutions to search for:

  • builder’s license status
  • where the builder has built homes
  • the number of previous home warranty registrations
  • if the builder has any orders or administrative penalties issued under the new Home Buyer Protection Act and related Regulations.

An informational website on  Residential Warranties:

Alberta Government

Assessment Review Process

The assessment process establishes the value of a property in relation to other similar properties. The purpose of property assessment is to distribute property tax fairly among property owners in a municipality.

Upon receipt of the annual combined property assessment/tax form, it is important to review the property information to make sure the description of the property is accurate.

If the property information is not correct, contact the Municipality’s Assessor, whose name and contact number is recorded on the back of the notice. Discuss any problems that might affect the property’s value and find out if these problems were taken into account when the assessment was prepared. (The Assessor can re-inspect the property and correct the information if necessary.)

If the property owner and the Assessor do not reach an agreed upon valuation, the property owner has recourse, utilizing the Assessment Complaints Process to pursue further amendments.

The Town of Sedgewick participates in a Regional Assessment Review Board that is legislated under Town of Sedgewick Intermunicipal Assessment Review Boards Bylaw 560

Alberta Municipal Affairs has provided a publication on the process of filing a property assessment complaint and preparing for the hearing: “Filing a property Assessment complaint…”

Assessment Review Forms:

Assessment Complaint Review Form

Assessment Complaints Agent Authorization Form

Assessment Information: Compliance Review Form