The Town of Sedgewick provides water, sewer, garbage and natural gas services to all residents.
Learn more about billing information and utilities below:
Frequently Asked Questions
How often do I get a utility bill?
Bills are issued on or about the 6th of each month and are due on the 16th of the same month.
Will I get penalized if I pay late?
A 2% penalty is levied on late payments.
A 2% penalty is levied on arrears past 30 days.
Payments that are made at the bank, at a banking machine or via electronic banking are credited to the customer’s accounts on the date that the funds are deposited into the Town’s bank account.
Please note: there may be up to three business day’s delay when paying online.
What do the charges on my utility invoice mean?
(See Fees & Charges Bylaw 549)
Metered Water: water is charged at $1.68 per cubic meter
Water IRF: Water Infrastructure Replacement Fee at $12.93/month
Sewer: Residential Sanitary Sewer Basic Charge at $22.05/month
Sewer IRF: Sewer Infrastructure Replacement Fee at $11.22/month
Garbage: Solid Waste Services charge at $31.62/month (four (4) bag limit for residential)
Metered Gas: is the current monthly natural gas rate charges from Sedgewick Killam Natural Gas System (SKNGS) as per the GasAlberta Contract, plus Administration/Delivery charges of $1.40 per Gigajoule.
Gas Meter S/C: Monthly Gas Meter maintenance charge of $25.00.
GST: the Federal Goods and Services Tax is charged on all gas-related services only on the monthly Utility Invoice.
What if I have extra garbage?
Tags for additional garbage bags over the 4-bag per week residential limit are available at the Town Office at $1.00/tag for regular Thursday pick-up.
Additional garbage may also be taken to the Main Landfill. For Flagstaff Regional Solid Waste Landfill hours check out: www.frswma.com.
What kind of container can I use?
Garbage must be bagged, tied and placed in animal-proof containers with water-tight lids,and placed at the curb for collection, no earlier than 5:00 PM Wednesday evening and must be placed out prior to 7:00 AM every Thursday.
Check the Solid Waste Management Bylaw 533 for more information.
Does Sedgewick have recycling?
Check the FSRWMA Recycling Policy.
Are there hook-up/connection fees?
There are no Connection fees; there is a Re-connection Fee of $55.10 if you request a vacation turnoff or if there is a shut off due to nonpayment of an account.
- Online payments directly from most major banking institutions
- Customers can use their online banking account to set up payments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the message, please record your payment as UT followed by the corresponding account number.
- The individual Utility account number for each property are located at the top right of each invoice. Use ALL the numbers before the “space;” do NOT use the numbers after the “space.’
- This account number set-up is the same the information required for “online” payments with banking institutions cited above.
- By Mail: Box 129, Sedgewick, AB T0B 4C0.
- In Person: by cheque, money order, or debit at the Town Office: 4818 – 47 Street, Sedgewick. (No Credit Cards)
- Monthly Utility Payment Option: the monthly utility payment program begins annually in June. The utility costs for the previous year are averaged into monthly payments to set out the amounts for the upcoming year. Contact the Town Office to arrange monthly payments.
If you own a rental property and wish your tenant to have a copy of the billings, please complete and return the Utility Permission Form.
Deliver the completed form to the Town Office, by fax to 780-384-3545 or email: Utility Permissions (NOTE: The Owner of a rental property retains the responsibility to ensure utilities are paid.)
Contact Information for Utilities
|Flagstaff Regional Solid Waste Management –Flagstaff Waste||Hours Mon-Fri 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
Saturday 1 – 4:30 PM
|Natural Gas – Emergencies||24hr||780-385-2116|
|Public Works - Emergencies|
(Water & Sewer)
|24-hr Call Forward||780-384-3911|
|Alberta One Call||Call Before You Dig||1-800-242-3447|
|Power Outage – FORTIS||1-866-717-3113|
|Utilities Consumer Advocate||Visit the Utilities Consumer Advocate to |
compare electricity prices in your area.
|Electric Power Regulated Rate Option – EPCOR||1-800-667-2345||or 310-4300|
|Energy Rates Review Website: – ENERGY RATES||Visit "Energy Rates" for competitive electricity rates|
Call Toll Free: 1-855-635-9608
Utilities Consumer Advocate Office (UCA)
The UCA website is an interactive resource that helps consumers, especially vulnerable Albertans, make informed choices about their electricity and natural gas services. The website is mobile and tablet responsive and includes an interactive Cost Comparison Tool, list of energy retailers and searchable database that displays historic energy rates. It also includes contact information for a mediation team.