The Town of Sedgewick


The Town of Sedgewick provides water, sewer, garbage and natural gas services to all residents.

Learn more about billing information and utilities below:

Frequently Asked Questions

How often do I get a utility bill?

Bills are issued on or about the 6th of each month and are due on the 16th of the same month.

Will I get penalized if I pay late?

A 2% penalty is levied on late payments.

A 2% penalty is levied on arrears past 30 days.

Payments that are made at the bank, at a banking machine or via electronic banking are credited to the customer’s accounts on the date that the funds are deposited into the Town’s bank account.

Please note: there may be up to three business day’s delay when paying online.

What do the charges on my utility invoice mean?
(See Fees & Charges Bylaw 533)

Metered Water: water is charged at $1.68 per cubic meter (1 cubic meter = 220 Imperial gallons)

Water IRF: Water Infrastructure Replacement Fee of $12.93/month

Sewer: Residential Sanitary Sewer Basic Charge of $22.05/month

Sewer IRF: Sewer Infrastructure Replacement Fee of $11.22/month

Garbage: Solid Waste Services charge of $31.62/month (four (4) bag limit for residential)

Metered Gas: is the current monthly natural gas rate charges from Sedgewick Killam Natural Gas System (SKNGS) as per the GasAlberta Contract, plus Administration/Delivery charges of $1.40 per Gigajoule.

Gas Meter S/C: Monthly Gas Meter maintenance charge of $25.00.

Carbon Levy is the Alberta Carbon Levy that is calculated at $1.517 per Gigajoule of natural gas; the Town must pay each billing period’s Carbon Levy, to the Alberta Government within 30 days of the residents’ invoiced date, whether or not the utility bills have been paid and the Town has collected the revenues.

GST:  the Federal Goods and Services Tax is charged on all gas-related services only.

What if I have extra garbage?

Tags for additional garbage bags over the 4-bag per week residential limit are available  at the Town Office at $1.00/tag for regular Thursday pick-up.

Additional garbage may also be taken to the Main Landfill. For Flagstaff Regional Solid Waste Landfill hours check out: www.frswma.com.

What kind of container can I use?

Garbage must be bagged, tied and placed in animal-proof containers with water-tight lids,and placed at the curb for collection, no earlier than 5:00 PM Wednesday evening and must be placed out prior to 7:00 AM every Thursday.

Check the Solid Waste Management Bylaw 533 for more information.

Does Sedgewick have recycling?

Check the FSRWMA Recycling Policy.

Are there hook-up/connection fees?

There are no Connection fees; there is a Re-connection Fee of $55.10 if you request a vacation turnoff or if there is a shut off due to nonpayment of account.

Payment Options:

  • You can make online payments directly from most major banking institutions.
  • By Mail: Box 129, Sedgewick, AB T0B 4C0.
  • In Person: by cheque, money order, or debit at the Town Office: 4818 – 47 Street, Sedgewick. (No Credit Cards)
  • Monthly Utility Payment Option: the monthly utility payment program begins annually in June. The utility costs for the previous year are averaged into monthly payments to set out the amounts for the upcoming year. Contact the Town Office to arrange monthly payments.

If you own a rental property and wish your tenant to have a copy of billings, please complete and return the utility permission form.
Deliver it to the Town Office, fax to 780-384-3545 or email: Utility Permissions

Contact Information for Utilities

Flagstaff Regional Solid Waste ManagementHours Mon-Fri 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Saturday 1 – 4:30 PM
780-384-3926 (fax)
Natural Gas – emergency24hr780-385-2116
Public Works
(water & Sewer)
24hr Forward780-384-3911
Alberta One CallCall Before You Dig1-800-242-3447
Electric Power – EPCOR1-800-667-2345or 310-4300
Power Outage310-9473
Utilities Consumer AdvocateVisit the Utilities Consumer Advocate to compare electricity and gas prices in your area, view historical rates or get help resolving utility related issues310-4822

Utilities Consumer Advocate Office (UCA)

The UCA website is an interactive resource that helps consumers, especially vulnerable Albertans, make informed choices about their electricity and natural gas services. The website is mobile and tablet responsive and includes an interactive Cost Comparison Tool, list of energy retailers and searchable database that displays historic energy rates. It also includes contact information for a mediation team.

Visit ucahelps.alberta.ca to compare electricity and gas prices in your area, view historical rates, or get help resolving utility related issues.