Utility E-Billing and Tax/Assessment E-Notices
The Town of Sedgewick is offering residents the opportunity to receive specific municipal notices as attachments in an email rather than by regular mail.
If you would like to receive notices by email, the Town requires your formal consent.
Transmitting Information by e-mail has a number of risks that residents should be aware of. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- E-mail can be circulated, forwarded and stored in numerous paper & electronic files
- E-mail can be immediately broadcast worldwide and be received by many intended and unintended recipients.
- E-mail senders can easily misaddress an e-mail.
- E-mail is easier to falsify than handwritten or signed documents.
- Backup copies of e-mail may exist even after the sender or the recipient has deleted their copy.
- E-mail can be intercepted, altered, forwarded or used without authorization or detection.
- E-mail can be used to introduce viruses into computer systems.
- E-mail can be used as evidence in court.
The Town of Sedgewick will use reasonable means to protect the security and confidentiality of email information sent and received. However, because of the risks outlined above, the municipality cannot guarantee the security and confidentiality of e-mail communications and will not be held liable for improper disclosure of confidential information. For this reason, the customer must consent to the use of e–mail for the delivery of municipal notices includes agreement to the following:
- Failure to receive an e-mailed municipal notice does not release me/us from my/our responsibility to pay any charges specified on the notice, or any penalties which may be incurred by late payment.
- I/We will inform the Town of Sedgewick of any changes to my/our e-mail address as soon as possible, to prevent the misdirection of notices and reduce the risk of my/us not receiving a notice.
- I/We may withdraw from e-mail delivery at any time. To do so, I/We will inform the Town of Sedgewick in writing, and all notices which were previously e-mailed to me/us will be sent by regular mail.