Public Notice: Residents are advised that the sanitary sewer system will be undergoing maintenance over the next few days and vehicular traffic should exercise caution and reduce speed when in the vicinity of workers.

The Town of Sedgewick

Licenses and Permits

Find helpful information on licenses and permits required in the Town of Sedgewick, from building and development permits to pet licenses.

Land Surveys

When looking into building, construction, renovations, or land development its important tome aware that you may be required to determine your site parameters; lot dimensions, position of all the improvements to the site and any encroachments that may exist and may need to obtain a Legal Land Survey.

Before you hire a surveyor to do a land survey, make sure you check with the Town of Sedgewick Office as we have many land surveys on file. If we do not have an updated land survey of your property, you can contact the Alberta Land Surveyor’s Association for a list of commonly asked questions about Legal Land Surveys.

Once you receive your survey, the Town of Sedgewick requests that you bring it in to the administration office where we will make a copy to keep on file.

Construction Permitting

The Town of Sedgewick contracts construction permitting to:

Superior Safety Codes Inc.
Red Deer (toll free)
Phone: 1-888-358-5545
Fax: 1-866-358-5085

Development and Building Permits

Please note that you must obtain a Development Permit from the Town of Sedgewick for any construction, renovations or demolition you undertake (including moving a mobile home into town), prior to applying for Building Permits. If you are demolishing a building you will need a Demolition Permit.

A development permit must be obtained from the Town of Sedgewick.

Development Permit fees are as follows:

  • Residential: $55.00 (Includes all development pertaining to residences including houses, garages, basement finishing, etc.)
  • Commercial: $55.00
  • Fences, Decks, Renovations, Additions, Small Structures: $30.00

(A development permit is required prior to a building permit application). This applies to any renovations that are being done that would cost more than $5,000 dollars.

A Development Permit requires the following information:

  • A site plan: a drawing showing the layout of the proposed development on the lot, with measurements showing the side/front and back yard setbacks from your property lines.
  • All legal information – i.e. Legal Address, ownership of property, and zoning.
  • Contractor name and estimated cost of development.

The Development Permit must be signed by the Town of Sedgewick Mayor and the CAO prior to application of the required building permits.

Once the Development has been approved as complying with the Land Use Bylaw, you will need to submit your permit to Superior Safety Codes Inc.– Applications in order to apply for your applicable permits.

Remember to think safety as you start your project and check for power lines and your safety Fortis.

All Development in the Town of Sedgewick MUST conform to Land Use Bylaw #461 and amending Land Use Bylaw # 483, amending 487, amending 504, amending 505, amending 506. Check here for the bylaw library.

Do you know what your property is zoned? Check the Town of Sedgewick Zoning Map.

If you are in doubt as to whether something requires a building permit, please call the Town of Sedgewick 780-384-3504 to check.

Alberta Safety Council Information

Please be sure to see pamphlets put out by the Alberta Safety Council available for viewing as PDF:

Basement Flood Handbook
Building a Deck
Carbon Monoxide Safety
Do I Need a Building Permit?
Finishing Your Basement
Installing a Fireplace
Secondary Suite Standards
Structures Near Power Lines